Languages at Invicta
At Invicta Grammar School, the Languages Department is committed to developing students’ linguistic abilities among other skills such as leadership, teamwork and communication.
Each student will study at least one language – French, German or Spanish. Our most able linguists will be offered the opportunity to study a second language in Year 9.
Students have 5 Languages lessons a fortnight from Year 7 to 11.
We also offer a range of Languages extra-curricular opportunities, such as:
- Mandarin Club: run by a native Mandarin speaker who teaches the students the language and Chinese culture.
- Model United Nation Conference in Geneva: an annual conference where our top linguists act as translators and experience the life of professional translators in the world of diplomacy.
- International Culture Festival: an annual event for students, parents and staff to celebrate the vibrant and diverse community within Invicta and the local area.
- Eurovicta: a EuroVision style annual singing competition for Year 7 students forming part of the Key Stage Three Diploma.
- International Film Club: for students to get a wider understanding of other cultures.
- The German Oxford Competition: an annual nationwide competition organised by the Goethe Institute.
- Hispanic Day: an internationally-recognised day when we celebrate the Spanish culture and celebrate its history.
- Modern Foreign Language Department Year 5 and 6 Workshops: a series of introductions, throughout the year, to encourage primary school students to discover different languages and their culture.
- ASPIRE club: run by staff and students on rotation through the languages, delivering mini-lectures, challenges and activities to stretch your linguistic mind and fuel your passion for languages beyond the classroom.
All our students experience life abroad while taking part in a variety of International trips, such as:
- Geography and Languages trip to St Omer, France in Year 7.
- History and Languages trip to Ypres, Belgium in Year 8.
- French, German and Spanish exchanges in Years 9 and 10.
- Hosting students from Hong Kong for all year groups.
- World School Forum in Year 12. The forum has taken place in Russia, USA, Japan and Italy in past years.
- United Nations Tri-Lingual Conference in Geneva, Switzerland in Years 12 and 13.
- Geography trip to Iceland for A Level students.